Awkward & Awesome: End-of-Life Conversations
Hey! Thanks for visiting!
I had lots of fun preparing this presentation for you. In addition to my slide deck, you'll find some resources that I find to be helpful and/or inspiring.
And, if you're so inclined, we can be friends on the internet. (see below)
Download the Slide Deck — January 2015
Catholic Healthcare Ethics Resources
- The Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services
Part Five is called "Issues in Care for the Seriously Ill and Dying." If you're wondering about the difference between Ordinary vs. Extraordinary means of preserving life, find directives #56-57 in Part Five.
- Catholic Health Association
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- The Conversation Project — Download their Starter Kit and I'll bet some of your anxiety will be gone. Co-founded by Ellen Goodman and in collaboration with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
- Engage With Grace — The One Slide Project offers 5 questions that can get the conversation started.
- Leaving Well — There's an app for that. Really. A checklist / journal to help you have the conversation and prepare. NB: The advance directives and other forms are specifically designed for those in the state of Utah. Here's the web version: leaving-well.org
- Saint Joseph Mercy Health System — stjoeshealth.org/advancedirectives
- getpalliativecare.org — Palliative Care 101
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization — Basic Hospice information.
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast
- Health Progress, January-February 2014
Health Progress is the journal of the Catholic Health Association. This edition has a special section on End-of-Life Care.
- Dying In America: Improving Quality and Honoring Individual Preferences Near the End of Life from the Institute of Medicine
Podcasts & Multimedia
- BBC: 2014 Reith Lecture Series with Dr. Atul Gawande: The Future of Medicine [podcast link]
- NPR: Fresh Air — A Cartoonist's Funny, Heartbreaking Take On Caring For Aging Parents
- Multimedia Presentation: The Ignatian Way #3: Finding God In All Things
If you see Jim Manney around St. Mary's, thank him for his contributions to this spiritual resource!
Bonus link: Five Ways to Find God in All Things